Sunday, September 25, 2011

Blog Number 2

HOWL       

          The story I read was about a red wolf named Mumon who was brought up in captivity because of his rare breed. He and his wolf pack were released into the wild as an experiment to see how well they would survive on their own. When they were released, they lived in fear because they had forgotten how to howl. In order to find his howl and bring his wolf pack back together, Mumon decides to go on a journey through the forest. In the forest Mumon meets a few animals that tell him he knows how to howl, but Mumon seems to disagree. While searching for his howl, Mumon becomes the howl and is able to bring unity to his wolf pack. 
          I believe that Flaum’s main point to the story is that in order to experience freedom and happiness one should sacrifice things they may not necessarily want to. It is important to give a little in order to take a little. 




“The air is full of ideas. They are knocking you in the head all the time. You only have to know what you want, then forget it, and go about your business. Suddenly, the idea will come through. It was there all the time.”
Henry Ford


          I believe that this quote by Henry Ford has a very good message with regards to creativity. I remember hearing this quote a few years ago, and it has stuck with me ever since because I can relate to it. I find that I am always thinking about new ideas everyday, whether they are creative ideas or not. Everyone in the world is constantly thinking of new ideas all of the time, and all of those ideas are always being shared from person to person.
          When people come together to invent a new product, they bounce their ideas off of one another to come up with the best product possible. This also happens when students are working on a group project in college. In my Media 203 class, we have been assigned different projects where we work in groups. In order for us to come up with the best project, we share our ideas with one another. This allows us to bring different creative ideas from each person into the project.
          I believe the most important part of the quote is “you only have to know what you want, then forget it, and go about your business. Suddenly, the idea will come through. It was there all the time.” I find that I can relate to this part of the quote the most. When it comes to working on projects, I am always trying to think of as many creative ideas as I can. Sometimes I cannot come up with anything creative so I will stop thinking about it and go about my day. Usually a day later when I’m not even thinking of the project, I will come up with a very creative idea. I believe that creative ideas stem form things we do in our everyday lives. I find that the most creative ideas come to mind when we are not even thinking about anything. Different things we see and hear on a normal day can inspire great creative ideas.
          I always ask myself why trying to think too much about being creative can make one not think of anything creative. I believe the reason is that our minds do not do well under pressure. If we are constantly trying to force ourselves to think of new and creative things for too long, it makes us become angry and upset. Sometimes ideas do not come to us naturally and thinking about them for too long can be counter-productive. People need to stop being so worried about coming up with creative ideas and just go with the flow. Our creative thoughts come from inspiration. New inventions inspire people to come up with something along the same lines but “newer and even greater.” We see the ideas that other people have and find ways to build off of their ideas without stealing the idea entirely.
          I think this quote is very important because everyone can relate to it. People are always trying to come up with new and creative ideas all of the time. The problem is that thinking about it for too long can have a negative effect. Instead of thinking too much about being creative, people need to go about their day and inspiration will bring their creative ideas to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment